There’s nothing that gets me out of a creative rut better than a podcast. I’m not sure whether or not it was a rut…more likely it was pure and simple burnout…but, in any case, I kind of lost the drive for my photography biz near the end of the year. As it goes, I’m back in the swing of things now and re-energized to tackle 2016 with my podcasts by my side.
Doesn’t it seem like new podcasts are popping up daily now? Not even a year ago, there weren’t nearly the number of options as there are now. I love these things. If you listen to them strategically, it’s like having a life coach in your pocket, a university prof at your fingertips…and never-ending inspiration on the go! Best of all, they’re (typically) free.
Here are some of my go-to’s for keeping my photo biz dreams on track these days:
- The Life Coach School Podcast with Brooke Castillo – Although this isn’t specifically for creatives, it provides a really good foundational base for anyone looking to grow & learn more about themselves (A.K.A. live your life). Don’t get caught up in the title. You don’t actually have to want to be a Life Coach to benefit from Brooke’s teachings. She has a really simple and down-to-earth way of explaining concepts that make you want to pick up and getting moving a little quicker to the life of your dreams.
- Raise Your Hand Say Yes with Tiffany Han – I was first introduced to Tiffany’s spectacularness (yes, that is a word) a few years ago when I took a painting workshop with Flora Bowley at the (then) Teahouse Studio in Berkeley. In the brief amount of time that I was in her presence/studio, I just had this feeling that she was a mover and a shaker. She’s a business coach for creatives, with a knack for telling you like it is on post-it notes. I jumped on her podcast bandwagon when it started just over a year ago and I’ve been faithfully addicted to listening to the creative adventures of (extra)ordinary people ever since. Listen up to be inspired by other like-minded creatives and learn a trick or two to apply to your own creative path.
- Being Boss with Emily Thompson and Kathleen Shannon – I can’t even remember how I came across this one…but I’m glad I did! I’ll describe this one verbatim from their podcast description…cause it pretty much tells it all: Get your business together. Get yourself into what you do, and see it through. Being boss is hard. Blending work and life is messy. Making a dream job of your own isn’t easy. But getting paid for it, becoming known for it, and finding purpose in it, is so doable – if you do the work.
- Elise Gets Crafty with Elise Blaha Cripe – another podcast on goal-setting, motivation and creativity. Elise interviews small business owners & creatives…I’m constantly learning & constantly inspired. And I’m trying really hard not to buy her Get to Work Book…but I might cave.
- Creative Warriors with Jeffrey Shaw – I’m all about the women power but it’s nice to listen to the male perspective every once in a while. 🙂 Jeffrey’s interviews with purpose-driven entrepreneurs and creative small business owners tend to be on the longer side, but they make for the perfect sidekick on a long road trip. I love being introduced to “new” people in the creative business world and am never disappointed with his selection.
- Profit. Power. Pursuit. A CreativeLive Podcast with Tara Gentile – I literally just found out about this one last week but I can tell you that I’m already a fan. Tara Gentile and I go way back. Ok, well maybe it was just an e-course of hers that I took called The Art of Action. I studied hard…and then didn’t take action…but that’s another post. Anyway, she pretty much rocks and has the perfect “radio voice.” And CreativeLive pretty much rocks my socks as well. Together, they make for the perfect package. So I’m excited to jump on board with this one.
Well that should keep you inspired for a while. Good luck with your creative pursuits!